Sunday, November 3, 2013

Kohler's bathroom and art and artsy bathrooms

Everyone in Wisconsin and else where has heard all the rage of Kohler bathroom products. I've noticed that Kohler has quite the creative advertising. Probably the most creative advertising they have is at the John Michael Kohler Art Museum in which I had the pleasure of visiting yesterday with the painting organization at UW-Milwaukee.

My favorite artist featured this time around was renounced artist Ray Yoshida. Not so renounced that I knew who he was prior to seeing his work yesterday, but then again I don't know every artist ever. Though that is an impossible goal I keep in mind...



ANYWAY,

I just loved this guy's work. He taught at the Chicago Institute of Art for four decades and has mastered the western art style in his acrylic and oil paintings. The work is composed of repeated objects or abstractions and text. His color schemes tend to be earthy, the opposite of what you might see in a comic book which is the style his work represents.
His work reminds me of 80's art star Keith Haring and his stick figures. When Haring was growing up his father introduced him to comic book drawing which he took a liking too. Considering this, it is no wonder why I compare Yoshida's work to Haring's. Not to mention Yoshida had a very arbitrary collection of comic book cut outs that he had spaced on paper in a weird stamp collection way. They were quite beautiful, and an interesting trace of the way he organized images.


Partial Evidences Ray Yoshida , 1972



Tsusami Ray Yoshida, 1991
Collage on paper
8 1/2" x 9 7/8

No comments:

Post a Comment