Thursday, October 24, 2013

Ben Jones

"C.W.F.F. (M.O.M. Berlin)" Mail Order Monsters traveling exhibition 2007, Acrylic on Paper 24'x36'

 I found Ben Jone's work in a small book tucked away in the arts section of the Meir Library, or as I call it, the "N" section.



I mean really, what a weird guy right? He probably never put down the highlighter as a kid, and I'm not just referring to drawing.This artist has given a contemporary spin on psychedelic and Minimalist art. Given the random smoke and geomatry spewing from mouths in the above painting, Ben's figures remind me of Alex Grey's work, the man soley responsible for the artwork associated with the American Rock group Tool. Oh Alex Grey, how much more amazing could you possibly get? Side note: I don't care for Tool.

Triangles, squares, and circles Oh My! Frank Stella takes us back to a time when geometry was all you needed to make a point in art. Ben seems to have a knack for shapes as well. Presented in both images on Ben's work, shapes make up the primary composition, or space, and embody all content. If not shapes then what? you may ask. My point being, There is no blending in Ben's work, giving the pieces an illustrative finish quality to them.

I like Ben Jones, which is obvious enough to figure out since I've spent time posting not one blog post about the man, but two. www.benjaminqjones.org 


"Chocorua IV" Frank Stella 1966
"Painting" Alex Grey


"Celebrate The New Dark Age" 2008 Athens, Greece 






No comments:

Post a Comment